With today’s cookies, I keep one promise and take on another.
On my Facebook feed last Thursday, Andrea posted a beautiful photo of German Chocolate Macaroons that looked a zillion times better than any cookie I’ve made yet.
I had already picked out the cookie for that week’s post, but I promised to make her over-the-top macaroons this Friday, instead. I’m embarrassed to admit that in my heart I’ve been quite bummed about my hastily made vow.
But alas, I made my promise. I typed it there for all to see.
No soul stood in the breach between my vow and me.
So now an unyielding sugary bond ties me to thee.
Although sticky, too dark and coconut-y,
These odd little mounds will be today’s Friday Cookie.
Then last night, as I thought about my sad cookie plight – about having to make a cookie I’ll never eat (Andrea doesn’t know that I hate coconut) – I came upon a positive Earth Day post about love and compassion and the connection between caring for our environment and for each other.
So while I may not realize the benefit of the small steps I can take to protect our planet today, surely I can act in light of the truth that others will.
Happy Earth Day. Happy Friday.
Come and get ’em!
And tomorrow, I hope you’ll come out to Earth Day at Kalima Gardens of Coker College. I’ll be bringing regular old chocolate chip cookies. The organizers have planned events that will run from 10 a.m. through 2 p.m., and the annual Duck Cup will take place at noon.
P.S. Sorry about the little 50-word poem. I couldn’t resist.
German Chocolate Macaroons
5⅓ cups shredded sweetened coconut
¾ cup sugar
6 Tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon salt
5 egg whites
1 cup finely chopped toasted pecans
Melt 4 ounces sweet chocolate 1 Tablespoon shortening
Sweetened Condensed Milk Topping
6 ounces sweetened condensed milk
1. Place sweetened condensed milk in a double boiler until slightly thickened (About 45 minutes). Keep warm.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
3. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or grease and lightly flour the cookie sheet.
4. In a large mixing bowl combine coconut, sugar, flour and salt. Toss and mix well. Add egg whites and nuts and mix well.
5. Using a round tablespoon drop macaroons onto prepared cookie sheet.
6. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20 to 23 minutes or until golden brown on top. Place on cooling rack.
7. Melt chocolate with shortening in microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between each increment until chocolate is melted. Drizzle chocolate over macaroons.
8. Then Drizzle thickened sweetened condensed milk over the chocolate.
Recipe by Chef in Training at http://www.chefintraining.com/2014/12/germanchocola